top of page

Let's Talk



Our privacy promise: We will not sell / use your contact information outside our agency.

How to File a Small Claims Case in Napa County, California

legal documents being prepared Spade & Archer™
Filing a small claims action might be the best remedy to a disputed legal matter.

Spade & Archer Wants To Help You

Should you find the process overwhelming, or, should you require assistance in determining if a small claims action is worth pursuing, we can help! We can evaluate assets, find financial information, track the person needing to be served, and serve due process.

After, we can assist you in judgement recovery to ensure you receive what you deserve. Just contact our detective agency for assistance.

Please note: Important phone numbers and links to filing information is contained below.

When to Consider Filing a Small Claims Suit

Filing a small claims suit in Napa County, California, is a practical way to resolve disputes involving relatively small amounts of money. Small claims court is designed to be user-friendly, allowing individuals to represent themselves without the need for an attorney. Here are some situations where you might consider filing a small claims suit:

Examples of When It May Be Necessary

  1. Unpaid Rent or Security Deposits: If a tenant leaves without paying rent or refuses to return a security deposit, a small claims suit can help recover these funds.

  2. Breach of Contract: When someone fails to honor the terms of a contract, such as not paying for services rendered or not delivering goods as promised.

  3. Property Damage: If someone damages your property, whether it’s a vehicle, personal belongings, or real estate, you can sue for the cost of repairs or replacement.

  4. Loan Defaults: If you lent money to someone and they haven't repaid it, you can take them to small claims court to recover the amount owed.

  5. Unpaid Wages: Employees who haven't been paid for work completed can use small claims court to seek their wages.

Where to File a Small Claims Action in Napa County

To file a small claims action in Napa County, you need to go to the Napa County Superior Court. The court is responsible for handling small claims cases within the county.

Location and Contact Information:

Napa County Superior Court

  • Address: 825 Brown Street, Napa, CA 94559

  • Telephone Number: (707) 299-1100

Amounts You Can Sue For in Napa County

In Napa County, as well as the rest of California, there are limits on the amounts you can sue for in small claims court:

  • Individuals: Can sue for up to $10,000.

  • Businesses and Other Entities: Can sue for up to $5,000.

It’s important to note that these limits are per claim. If your damages exceed these amounts, you may need to file a case in a higher court or split your claims into multiple cases.

eye glasses on legal papers
Ensure you are properly prepared for small claims court in Napa County

The Process of Filing a Small Claims Case

How Long It Takes Before Your Matter Goes to Court

Once you file a small claims case in Napa County, the court will schedule a hearing date. Generally, small claims cases are heard within 30 to 70 days after the filing date. The exact time frame can vary depending on the court’s schedule and the specifics of your case.

Steps to File a Small Claims Case

  1. Prepare Your Claim: Gather all relevant information and documents to support your case. This includes contracts, receipts, photographs, and any other evidence.

  2. Complete the Forms: Fill out the necessary forms, such as the Plaintiff’s Claim and Order to Go to Small Claims Court (Form SC-100). You can find this form and others on the California Courts website.

  3. File the Forms: Submit your completed forms to the Napa County Superior Court. You can file in person or by mail. Be prepared to pay the filing fee at this time.

  4. Serve the Defendant: After filing your claim, you must serve the defendant with a copy of the claim and the court date. This can be done through various methods, including personal service, substituted service, or service by mail.

  5. Attend the Hearing: On the court date, present your case to the judge with all your evidence and any witnesses.

Serving Legal Papers

Serving the defendant is a crucial step in the small claims process. The defendant must be properly notified of the lawsuit and the court date.

There are several ways to serve legal papers:

  1. Personal Service: Having someone over 18 who is not involved in the case hand-deliver the papers to the defendant.

  2. Substituted Service: Leaving the papers with a responsible adult at the defendant's home or workplace and mailing a copy to the defendant.

  3. Certified Mail: Using certified mail with a return receipt requested. The court clerk can arrange this service.

Cost to File Small Claims Actions in Napa County

The cost to file a small claims action in Napa County varies based on the amount you are suing for:

  • Claims up to $1,500: The filing fee is $30.

  • Claims from $1,500.01 to $5,000: The filing fee is $50.

  • Claims from $5,000.01 to $10,000: The filing fee is $75.

These fees are subject to change, so it's a good idea to check with the court for the most current information.

Additional Helpful Information

Preparing for Court

Preparation is key to a successful small claims court experience. Here are additional tips to ensure you’re ready:

  • Review Your Case: Go over all the facts of your case, and be prepared to present them clearly and concisely.

  • Practice Your Presentation: Practice what you will say in court. Keep it brief and focused on the key points.

  • Understand Court Etiquette: Dress appropriately and be respectful to everyone in the courtroom, including the judge and the opposing party.

Important Forms and Resources

  1. Plaintiff’s Claim and Order to Go to Small Claims Court (Form SC-100): Download here

  2. Proof of Service (Form SC-104): Download here

  3. Request to Postpone Trial (Form SC-150): Download here

  4. Information for the Small Claims Plaintiff (Form SC-100-INFO): Download here

Key Contact Information

Napa County Superior Court

Small Claims Advisor

If you need additional help, Napa County offers a Small Claims Advisor service. This service provides free assistance with understanding the small claims process, filling out forms, and preparing for court.

  • Small Claims Advisor Phone: (707) 299-1137

What to Bring to Small Claims Court

On the day of your small claims court hearing, it’s important to come prepared. Here’s a list of items you should bring:

  1. Your Copy of the Filed Claim: Ensure you have your copy of the Plaintiff’s Claim and Order to Go to Small Claims Court (Form SC-100).

  2. Evidence: Bring all documents, photos, receipts, contracts, and any other evidence that supports your case.

  3. Witnesses: If you have witnesses who can testify on your behalf, make sure they are present at the hearing.

  4. A Written Statement: Prepare a concise written statement summarizing your case. This will help you stay organized and present your argument clearly to the judge.

  5. Additional Copies: Have extra copies of all your documents and evidence for the judge and the defendant.

  6. A Pen and Notebook: To take notes during the hearing.

  7. Identification: Bring a valid photo ID, such as a driver’s license or passport.


Filing a small claims case in Napa County can be a straightforward process if you understand the steps and come prepared. Whether you are seeking to recover unpaid rent, wages, or damages, small claims court provides an accessible avenue for justice. By following the guidelines and tips provided in this article, you can navigate the small claims process with confidence.

For more information or specific guidance on your case, you can contact the Napa County Superior Court at the address and telephone number provided. Good luck with your small claims action!


bottom of page