top of page

Let's Talk



Our privacy promise: We will not sell / use your contact information outside our agency.

Step-by-Step Guide on How to File a Small Claims Case in Solano County, California

Filing a small claims case can be an efficient and cost-effective way to resolve disputes without the need for a lawyer. This guide provides a comprehensive overview of the steps involved in filing a small claims case in Solano County, California, including important details such as when to consider a small claims suit, the necessary forms, filing fees, court procedures, and additional support services.

Solano County Small Claims - Spade & Archer
Preparing for Solano County small claims disputes does not have to be difficult - Follow our guide!

When to Consider a Small Claims Suit

Small claims court is designed for resolving minor disputes quickly and inexpensively. You should consider filing a small claims suit if:

  • The amount of money involved is within the small claims court limit.

  • You prefer a quick resolution rather than a prolonged legal process.

  • You do not want to hire a lawyer (attorneys are generally not allowed to represent parties in small claims court).

Examples of Situations for Small Claims Court

  • Unpaid Debts: If someone owes you money and refuses to pay.

  • Property Damage: When someone damages your property and refuses to cover the repair costs.

  • Breach of Contract: When an agreement or contract is not honored.

  • Security Deposit Disputes: If a landlord refuses to return your security deposit.

  • Faulty Goods or Services: When a product or service you paid for is not delivered as promised.

Solano County Small Claims Court Information

Where to File

To file a small claims action in Solano County, you will need to go to the Solano County Superior Court.

Location: Solano County Superior Court Small Claims Division 600 Union Avenue Fairfield, CA 94533

Telephone Number: (707) 207-7330

Website: Solano County Superior Court

Filing Limits

  • Individuals: Up to $10,000

  • Businesses: Up to $5,000

Steps to File a Small Claims Case

Step 1: Determine If Your Case Qualifies

Ensure your case falls within the jurisdiction of the small claims court and that the amount you are claiming is within the allowable limits.

Step 2: Complete the Required Forms

You will need to fill out the necessary forms to file your claim. The main form required is the "Plaintiff's Claim and Order to Go to Small Claims Court" (Form SC-100). Forms are available at the courthouse or can be downloaded from the court’s website.

Download Forms:

Step 3: File Your Forms with the Court

Submit your completed forms to the Small Claims Division of the Solano County Superior Court. You can file your claim in person or by mail.

Step 4: Pay the Filing Fee

The filing fee depends on the amount of your claim:

  • Claims up to $1,500: $30

  • Claims from $1,500.01 to $5,000: $50

  • Claims from $5,000.01 to $10,000: $75

Step 5: Serve the Defendant

After filing your claim, you must serve the defendant with a copy of the claim. This can be done by a process server, sheriff, or someone over the age of 18 who is not a party to the case. Proper service is critical as it ensures that the defendant is officially notified about the lawsuit.

Step 6: Prepare for Court

Gather all necessary documents and evidence to support your claim.

This may include:

  • Contracts

  • Receipts

  • Photographs

  • Witness statements

  • Correspondence

  • Repair estimates or invoices

Timeframe and Costs


Once your case is filed, it generally takes 20 to 70 days for the court to schedule a hearing. The exact timeframe can vary based on the court's schedule. It’s important to check with the court for the most accurate information regarding your specific case.


  • Filing Fee: $30-$75 depending on the amount of your claim.

  • Service Fees: Varies based on the method of service. Hiring a professional process server or using the sheriff’s office will incur additional costs, typically ranging from $30 to $100.

What to Bring to Court

On the day of your hearing, ensure you bring:

  • Copies of all filed forms.

  • All relevant evidence and documents.

  • Witnesses (if any).

  • A clear statement of your case and the amount you are claiming.

  • Any notes or summaries that can help you present your case clearly.

Court room testimony - Spade & Archer Detective Agency
Respectfully, and tactfully answer any questions asked of you. Keep your comments brief and to the point, do not ellaborate.

Spade & Archer Detective Agency: Assistance Before, During, and After Your Small Claims Case

Filing a small claims case can be a daunting process, but you don't have to go through it alone. The Spade & Archer Detective Agency offers comprehensive support services that can significantly enhance your chances of success.

Before Filing: Case Preparation and Investigation

  • Evidence Gathering: Spade & Archer can help you collect and organize critical evidence such as documents, photographs, and witness statements.

  • Background Checks: They can perform background checks on the defendant to uncover any additional information that might support your case.

  • Expert Advice: The agency provides expert advice on the merits of your case and helps you understand the legal procedures involved in small claims court.

During the Dispute: Representation and Mediation

  • Court Preparation: Spade & Archer assists in preparing your case for court, including organizing your documents and rehearsing your presentation.

  • Mediation Services: They offer mediation services to help resolve disputes before they escalate to court, potentially saving you time and money.

  • Courtroom Support: While they cannot represent you in court (as attorneys are generally not allowed in small claims court), they can provide moral support and help you stay organized during your hearing.

After the Judgment: Judgment Recovery

  • Enforcement of Judgments: Winning a judgment is only the first step. Spade & Archer can assist in enforcing the judgment, ensuring you receive the money awarded by the court.

  • Collection Services: They offer collection services to help recover the amount owed to you, whether through wage garnishment, bank levies, or other legal means.

  • Ongoing Support: The agency provides ongoing support and advice on any legal actions that may be required to collect your judgment.

Additional Resources and Contacts

Clerk of Court: Solano County Superior Court 600 Union Avenue Fairfield, CA 94533

Telephone Number: (707) 207-7330

Useful Links


Filing a small claims case in Solano County can be straightforward if you follow these steps and ensure you are well-prepared. By understanding the process, gathering the necessary documentation, and utilizing support services like those offered by Spade & Archer™ Detective Agency, you can increase your chances of a successful outcome in small claims court.


Q1: Can I have a lawyer represent me in small claims court? A: Generally, attorneys are not allowed to represent parties in small claims court. The process is designed to be simple and accessible, so individuals can represent themselves.

Q2: What if the defendant does not show up to the hearing? A: If the defendant does not appear in court, you may win by default. However, you will still need to present your case and provide evidence to the judge.

Q3: How do I enforce a judgment if I win? A: If you win your case and the defendant does not pay, you may need to take additional legal steps to enforce the judgment. This can include wage garnishment, bank levies, or seizing property. Services like those offered by Spade & Archer Detective Agency can assist in this process.

Q4: Can I appeal the court’s decision if I lose? A: Yes, in California, either party can appeal the decision of a small claims court. The appeal must be filed within 30 days after the judgment is mailed to you.

Q5: What should I do if I need more help with my small claims case? A: You can seek assistance from legal aid organizations, the small claims advisor at the courthouse, or professional services like Spade & Archer Detective Agency, which can provide comprehensive support throughout the process.

By following this guide and utilizing the resources available, you can effectively navigate the small claims process in Solano County and achieve a fair resolution to your dispute.


bottom of page